Ask the Experts all about moving >> Event happening TODAY!
djmans

I lived in two states

I am single and lived in North Carolina and Virginia in 2019. I am living in VA now. On Form 760PY what do I put in Column 4? The amount of taxes I'm paying to VA this year or the amount of Refund I'm getting this year???? or something else? Thanks

AnnetteB6

I lived in two states

Line 4 'state refund received by taxpayer while a VA resident' is referring to any state tax refund that you received while you were living in VA. 

This would be a state refund that was a result of filing your 2018 tax return.  If you itemized deductions on your 2018 Federal return, then your state refund amount could be taxable on your 2019 Federal return.  If there is a taxable amount shown on your 2019 Federal return, TurboTax should show you that on the allocation form.  Then, you can enter the amount shown if it was received by you while you lived in VA.

@djmans

DavidD66

I lived in two states

Where are you seeing a "column 4" for Form 760PY?

djmans

I lived in two states

I'm sorry, Not column 4. Line 4.

JohnB5677

I lived in two states

I'm not sure where you're looking.  On the VA 760 PY line 4 is Qualifying age Deduction.

djmans

I lived in two states

It says 760PY INC: State refund received by taxpayer while a Virginia resident must be entered.

Then under that is says TP State refund and has a box. Then there is a form called Income and Adjustments Allocation Smart Worksheet. I'm trying to figure out Line 4 on this worksheet. 

AnnetteB6

I lived in two states

@djmans