shane_youngblood

I live in tn but my employer is based in nc, they took out state taxes. Can I claim home office deductions on state forms?

You say you live in TN.   Where do you WORK?   If you live and work in TN then you need to file a non-resident return for NC to get a refund of NC tax withheld.  TN has no state income tax.

If you are a W-2 employee you cannot claim a home office.

Sorry---W-2 employees cannot deduct expenses for working from home.  Job-related expenses were eliminated as a deduction for W-2 employees by the tax laws that changed for 2018 and beyond.  Your state tax laws might be different.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4482873-which-federal-tax-deductions-have-been-suspended-by-tax-re...

TomD8

@xmasbaby0 wrote "If you are a W-2 employee you cannot claim a home office."

Just to clarify, that statement holds true for both your federal and your NC tax returns. 

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.