Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I live in Texas and work full time remotely for a PA based on company? Do I need to pay PA state tax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

I live in Texas and work full time remotely for a PA based on company? Do I need to pay PA state tax?

Yes, if you are working remotely for your convenience.

No, if the company asks you to work remotely for their convenience. 

Employer convenience would be situations were the company needs you in that other state to work on a project located in that other state or if the company has no physical office space for you at their location or REQUIRES you to work remotely. 

According to the state of Pennsylvania:

“A non-resident employee who is required to telework full-time from home in another state should treat his compensation as non-Pennsylvania source income even if his employer is located in Pennsylvania.”

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

So do I need to submit anything to prove this requirement in order to not pay PA tax?

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

If you believe you qualify to have your wages not be treated as Pennsylvania income, then you don't need to provide anything to Pennsylvania unless your W-2 shows Pennsylvania wages and state tax withholding, in which case you should file a Pennsylvania nonresident tax return. 

Contact your employer if you believe you have incorrectly had Pennsylvania withholding deducted.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies