Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I live in NH and work in MA 2 days a week, work remotely from NH 3 days a week.

I live in NH and physically work in MA 2 days a week, work remotely from NH 3 days a week.   It actually works out that I am in MA less than that with vacations, bad weather preventing travel etc. but I'm doing calculations under that assumptions.  I'd rather over pay MA than under pay.  Rather straightforward. However, I cannot seShould I get back 60% of what MA withheld since that was calcuated as being in MA all days?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Edit to my question.  I cannot see on turbotax where to break this down.  If I say that I made some money OUTSIDE of MA they seem to interpret this as making MORE income than on my W2 and my tax burden increases.

TomD8
Level 15

In the Personal Info section of TT be sure you enter NH as your State of Residence and indicate that you had other state income from MA.

MA taxes non-residents only on income from work actually performed within MA.  In your case that is 2 days out of 5, or 40%.  Thus you would allocate 40% of your work income to MA when you do your MA non-resident tax return.  See the instructions for Line 13 on page 14 of the MA tax instruction booklet:

https://www.mass.gov/doc/2023-form-1-nrpy-instructions/download

The amount of your refund from MA will be determined by your actual tax amount due vs your MA taxes withheld.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies