Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

RachelM
Returning Member

I live in MO but did a clinical research trial in KS. Do I have to file a KS state tax return?

I live in MO but did a clinical research trial in KS and received a 1099-misc with the income reported as "other income" box 3.  Do I have to report that income as having been earned in KS and file a KS return, or since I live in MO, do I just include that as part of my MO income?  The 1099 doesn't even have KS anywhere on it, since the company headquarters is in North Carolina.  I don't imagine that KS even has any record of the money anyway?

On a similar note, my son has taxable grant money that was more than his college tuition.  (He used it for room and board, but it is still taxable.)  He is a MO resident, but went to school in Idaho.  Does that money get reported as earned in MO or in ID?  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
TomD8
Level 15

I live in MO but did a clinical research trial in KS. Do I have to file a KS state tax return?

What if I am a resident of another state with income from Kansas?

You are required to file a Kansas income tax return. File as a nonresident and complete Kansas Schedule S, Part B.

Answer is from:

https://www.ksrevenue.org/faqs-taxii.html

Your son's grant money, if received while living in Idaho or from an Idaho source, is taxable by Idaho.  See "Student" in this Idaho tax reference: https://tax.idaho.gov/i-2014.cfm?seg=specificc 

All out-of-state income received by you or your son is also taxable by your home state of MO.  MO allows a credit on its tax return for taxes paid to another state, so neither of you will be double-taxed.  But you each must include the out-of-state income on your MO tax return.  In TurboTax, complete the out-of-state tax returns before the home state tax returns, so that the credit flows properly.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies