Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I live in Minnesota and worked in North Dakota for about 1.5 months. does that mean i qualify for the reciprocity agreement??

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
JulieCo

I live in Minnesota and worked in North Dakota for about 1.5 months. does that mean i qualify for the reciprocity agreement??

Yes, Minnesota and North Dakota have reciprocal agreements which means that if you live in one state and work in another, you will only be taxed for the state that you live in.  These agreements prevent employees from having to file taxes in more than one state.

Therefore, as long as you did not have any ND taxes withheld (these would have been reported on your W-2), then you do not have to file a ND tax return. You will only have to file a MN resident return.  

If you did have ND taxes withheld during 2018, then you would need to file a non-resident ND return to get the taxes withheld refunded to you. 

What box would i look at on my w2 from that company would I look at to know if i got taxes withheld?
JulieCo

Box 15 would identify the state taxes being withheld and box 17 would have the amount of taxes withheld for that state.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies