turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sbechtel1

I live in Kentucky but I work in ohio. My employer takes out ky taxes only. Do I still need to file in ohio?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I live in Kentucky but I work in ohio. My employer takes out ky taxes only. Do I still need to file in ohio?

No, you will not need to file in Ohio.  Kentucky and Ohio are reciprocal states, which means they have an agreement that you only pay state taxes where you live.  To ensure that the Ohio return is not generated, simply answer no to the question if you lived or worked outside of Kentucky.  Because of the reciprocal agreement, you are not considered to have worked in Ohio.

Here is an FAQ on reciprocal agreements:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4776822

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I understand that part but I have this issue. I am a travel nurse that lives in KY. I did travel assignments in KY and OH. My travel company took money from me to pay KY, Ohio and Nebraska (where THEIR office is) in error. What do I do now for taxes? I should have that money refunded since I shouldnt have paid those states. Correct?

TomD8
Level 15

@shayschrode --

Your home state of KY can tax all your income, regardless of where you earn it.  Therefore your employer was correct to withhold KY taxes.

KY and OH have tax reciprocity for W2 income.  Assuming your income is reported on a W2, see Question #2 on this OH webpage for the procedure to follow to obtain a refund.  Your W2 income is not taxable by OH.

https://tax.ohio.gov/help-center/faqs/employer-withholding-refunds/employer-withholding-refunds

If you never actually worked in Nebraska (or as a telecommuter for a NE-based employer), your income is not subject to Nebraska income tax.  To obtain a refund, you must file a non-resident NE tax return on which you show the NE withholding but allocate zero income to NE.  This should result in a full refund from NE.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies