Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hffsttlr

I live in Kansas and work in Missouri. Box 16 has two amounts, one Ks resident only and one for Mo, which amount do I use?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

I live in Kansas and work in Missouri. Box 16 has two amounts, one Ks resident only and one for Mo, which amount do I use?

You can use two state lines (boxes 15-20) for the W2 entered in the federal "Wages & Income" section.  One line will have MO in (box 15) and the wages attributed to MO (box 16) along with any taxes withheld for MO (box 17) and any MO local tax information.  Then "Add another state" for the W2 and the other line will have only the KS information. 

KS as your resident state taxes income no matter where it is earned.  MO your non-resident state only taxes MO source income.  

You should work the MO non-resident return before the KS resident return.  In the MO non-resident return you confirm/allocate to MO only the MO source income. Take note of the income taxed (should be the MO box 16 amount) and the MO tax liability.  Those numbers will flow to your KS resident return to claim a credit for taxes paid to another state to mitigate the double taxation.  

In the KS interview, edit the "Credits" section. You will need to enter the amount of KS income that was double taxed by MO in order to trigger the correct credit for taxes paid to another state (MO).  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies