bokonon82

I live in Iowa and work in Illinois, meaning I pay my taxes to Iowa. However, the software is not reflecting this in the Illinois return when I get to the end.

SteamTrain

As a resident of IA....IF..if..iF... your IL W-2 only has IA withholding on it?

Then...You Do Not even file an IL tax return in that situation.

....go back to the My Info section and remove IL from the "Other State Income" line at the bottom.

....then return to the State section and delete the IL tax file entirely..you don't need it.

For IL resident s who work in IA, they are supposed to do a similar thing when they file....but as an IL resident, they would not file an IA tax return..

______________________

Now the situation is different if IL taxes were withheld.....but you were supposed to file a form with the IL employer to stop that IL withholding....and some of them can withhold for IA instead.

*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

SteamTrain

______________________

bokonon82

Thank you for your answer.  I had actually figured this out, but I'm glad I have confirmation that I am correct in my interpretation.