Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

msjulian

I live in Indiana but work in Kentucky. My employer does not withhold any state tax, but I have local taxes withheld from KY. Can I get the KY local taxes back?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

I live in Indiana but work in Kentucky. My employer does not withhold any state tax, but I have local taxes withheld from KY. Can I get the KY local taxes back?

Q. Can I get the KY local taxes back?

A. No. The reciprocal agreement between IN & KY on state taxes  does not apply to local city/county taxes. You are not required to file a KY local city return, but you are also not entitled to a refund of the city/county withholding (box19 on your W-2), 

Most  IN counties (but not the state)  allow a credit, or partial credit for tax paid to an KY city. That will come up in the IN state interview. (For details, see:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/state-taxes/discussion/i-see-no-separate-question-for-school-taxes...

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

You do not get the tax back but non-Indiana local tax may qualify for a Credit for Local Taxes Paid Outside of Indiana.  See page 36 of the Indiana 2023 IT-40 Instruction Booklet.  See here.

Credit for Local Taxes Paid Outside of Indiana 

If you figured county tax on Form IT-40, line 9, and had to pay a local income tax outside Indiana, you may be able to take a credit. This credit applies only if the tax you paid outside Indiana was to another city, county, town, or other local governmental entity; and they did not refund the tax, or give you a credit for Indiana county tax.

In TurboTax Online, the credit is computed at the screen Take a look at Indiana credits and taxes. Click Start / Revisit to the right of Credit for Non-Indiana Local Taxes.

@msjulian 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies