Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Montflare

I live in GA but make all my income working physically in TN. Will GA refund the income tax they deduct from my W2?

I live in GA but make all my income working physically in TN. Will GA refund the income tax they deduct from my W2? TN does not have an income tax. I am a resident of GA as I own a house there. Yet I get all my income which is generated while physically working within TN. Will I get that all back? If so how would I go about this? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

I live in GA but make all my income working physically in TN. Will GA refund the income tax they deduct from my W2?

If you're a Resident of Georgia, they tax all your income, no matter where you earned it.

So Georgia would not refund the tax you paid on your wages earned in Tennessee, unless too much tax was withheld.

Here's more info from the Georgia Dept. of Revenue.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@Montflare 

No. as A GA resident, GA taxes you according to ALL your income for the year...even income earned in non-income-tax states (like TN).   GA does this, as well as all the other states in the USA that have income taxes on their residents.    To avoid double taxation, after calculating their tax, GA would allow you to subtract any taxes you paid to the state you worked in...but TN doesn't have a tax....thus it is all GA-taxed.

Luckily, apparently your employer is registered with GA to withhold GA taxes...the line with boxes 15,16,17 on your W-2  (unless you were talking about Federal taxes withheld)...so you'll get credit for those GA taxes withheld....and, depending on your TOTAL income situation, you might get some of it back....or you could even owe more to GA...that's determined by filling in and filing the Fed&GA tax returns.

However....IF your employer couldn't withhold GA taxes from your pay  (bioxes 15,16,17 on the W-2), then you could end up owing a huge amount to GA at tax time...and have a penalty assessed to-boot.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies