Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I have e-filed my federal return but turbo tax will not e-fil my North Carolina state return.

NC return was sent 2/19, not accepted yet either.  Likely 2/28 before the state gets things going.

StlrK
Returning Member

I have e-filed my federal return but turbo tax will not e-fil my North Carolina state return.

I already filed my fed tax through turbotax and already received my refund. Now, I can't e-file my state tax because it says that "We could not e-file your return for the following reason: Duplicate Social Security Number: A tax return with the same Social Security number has already been submitted - in other words, it appears you're trying to e-file the same return twice..." since I already filed my fed tax separate from NC state tax. Anyone can help?

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

@StlrK If you are sure no one claimed you on another tax return or anything like that then you are probably the victim of identity theft.  I would suggest filing your return by paper and contacting the North Carolina Department of Revenue about it.

Here is the contact info for the NCDOR.

Here is the NCDOR page on identity theft.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@ StlrK wrote:

I already filed my fed tax through turbotax and already received my refund. Now, I can't e-file my state tax because it says that "We could not e-file your return for the following reason: Duplicate Social Security Number: A tax return with the same Social Security number has already been submitted - in other words, it appears you're trying to e-file the same return twice..." since I already filed my fed tax separate from NC state tax. Anyone can help?

Are you sure you're not also accidentally trying to efile your Federal return again along with the state?   If it  tried to efile the Federal again, then maybe that's why you got that notice.   Be sure you configure the efiling option to only efile the state return.

ADDENDUM 2/25/2022 at 12:16 AM Pacific

Also see the info I left you in my next comment below.

@StlrK 

Here's more info:

You can contact TurboTax Support, and they can likely assist you in determining what is causing the "duplicate SSN" error, since I believe it's TurboTax own computers that are recognizing that situation; i.e., I think that's an internal notice from TurboTax.   And as such, they may be able to look it up by SSN and help figure out what is causing it and further advise you.

Support Hours are currently 5AM-9PM Pacific (8AM-12 Midnight Eastern) 7 days/week.

FAQ: What is the TurboTax phone number?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

BFB1
Level 3

Contacted NCDOR. They will not start processing prior e-filed returns until Monday, Feb. 28th

gteasley
Returning Member

I’m trying efile my Nc state taxes 

@gteasley wrote:

I’m trying efile my Nc state taxes 

And what is your question about that?   What/where is the roadblock?   Are you getting an error message?

Have you already efiled the Federal return previously?   If so, has it been accepted?

NC finally got around to accepting my return. Got a confirming email hour ago.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies