Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I got a letter saying I need to go to DOR.SC.GOV/VERIFYCODE and type in the code how do i know this isn't a scam

I’m here for answers 

I got a letter saying I need to go to DOR.SC.GOV/VERIFYCODE and type in the code how do i know this isn't a scam

SChqz2h3

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

As per the posts above, please see the link below to confirm whether the notice is legitimate or not.  The website indicates they are requesting confirmation using MyDORWAY, but makes no mention of the link you have posted.  

South Carolina security center

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
AD36

SCvzmdm8

sselena44

yes I did receive a letter to go to Dor.sc.gov

sselena44

Yes I did receive a letter 

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

If you received a letter in the mail and have to type in the website, it is a valid request.  Also the extension "dor.sc.gov" is valid for the South Carolina Department of Revenue.  

"New from the SCDOR: Identity Verification Quiz and Individual Code Verification. The SCDOR has implemented new security measures to ensure that fraudsters are not using your information to file a false return and steal your refund. You may receive a letter from the SCDOR asking you to visit MyDORWAY to complete one of these verifications after filing your return. This is just another step we are taking to keep your information private."

See Security Center - SC Department of Revenue

@sselena44

I got a letter saying I need to go to DOR.SC.G

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

South Carolina is sending letters for identity verification.  It is legitimate.

"New from the SCDOR: Identity Verification Quiz and Individual Code Verification. The SCDOR has implemented new security measures to ensure that fraudsters are not using your information to file a false return and steal your refund. You may receive a letter from the SCDOR asking you to visit MyDORWAY to complete one of these verifications after filing your return. This is just another step we are taking to keep your information private."

See Security Center - SC Department of Revenue

@Annie pelzer

Columbia2

Please send refund to:

Charles F

Julia F [PII removed]

Columbia2

SCfhv34

Please view this link on the IRS website about how to identify scams and report them.

@Columbia2

I am verifying  my identity.

Verification Code: SC54kdj8

AD36

Re: I got a letter saying I need to go to DOR.SC.GOV/VERIFYCODE and type in the code how do i know this isn't a scam

Contact your state and ask them if they sent you a letter.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/state-taxes/help/how-do-i-contact-my-state-department-of-revenue/0...

It is not uncommon for the state to require someone to verify their identity.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies