Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

fadel1968

I filled in two states last year. CA and NC. I had a refund in CA but I owed taxes in NC. I Got a 1099G from CA. Can I deduct the taxes I paid NC for taxable refund?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
fadel1968

I filled in two states last year. CA and NC. I had a refund in CA but I owed taxes in NC. I Got a 1099G from CA. Can I deduct the taxes I paid NC for taxable refund?

Say I got a 20K refund from CA for 2017 but I had to pay 17K to NC.  The 1099G from CA shows that got a 20K refund and it is now a taxable income in 2018. However, in reality it is not because I had to pay NC 17K which tells me that the taxable income should only be 3K.
KatrinaB
Intuit Alumni

You can include the state tax paid on your North Carolina state return. Follow the directions below to enter your 2017 state taxes paid.

1. Log in and click take me to my return (unless already in).
  2. Click Tax Tools from the left-side menu.
  3. Select Tools from the drop-down menu
  4. Click Topic Search, type Estimated Tax Payments and click Go.
  5. On the next screen, scroll down and click Start next to "Balance due on your 2017 state taxes paid in 2018".

Alternatively, you can follow the directions below.

1. Log in and click take me to my return (unless already in).
  2. Click the Search box in the upper right screen and 
  3. Type Estimated Tax Payments and Click the "Jump to Estimated Tax Payments" in the search results.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies