Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mklog
Returning Member

I am a Florida resident. TurboTax will not permit me to e-file my federal return due to my W-2 missing the state ID number. Florida does not have a state income tax!

Box 15 of the W-2 lists the state as Florida (FL), there is no state ID number and box 17 shows that there was no state income tax.  Last year my W-2 was encoded the same way and I filed my return with no problems.  How do I get around this erroneous problem and e-file my Federal tax return?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

I am a Florida resident. TurboTax will not permit me to e-file my federal return due to my W-2 missing the state ID number. Florida does not have a state income tax!

Remove FL from the state.  There is no reason to have it there.  This will tell TurboTax there is nothing for the state and should allow you to file your return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
mklog
Returning Member

I removed FL from box 15, but it now gives me a new error - stating that I need to include the state ID code. 

This W-2 relates to a small amount of money that I receive each year from Fidelity (each year since 2005), relating to a 'Non-Qualified" plan that was established by a previous (very large) employer years ago.  Note that box 11 of the W-2 identifies this income as as a Nonqualified plan.

As indicated, this error did not get flagged as an error in my 2022 return, and that year, just as this year, had the exact same information on the W-2.  How do I get around this error?    

mklog
Returning Member

I called Intuit and reviewed the issue.  After allowing a representative view the message, then check with their "experts", I was informed that there was no workaround to the error message.  I removed all information from boxes 15, 16 and 17, since there is no state income tax, and submitted the return.  The frustrating aspect is that this problem has not arisen in previous years - the error message only shows up in a TurboTax worksheet that is created by the program.  The tax forms submitted to the IRS are not affected - the income is reported correctly.  

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Is this the only form with a reference to Florida?

As noted above if there are no entries in boxes 15, 16, and 17, then there is no reason for TurboTax to worry about that state.

Do you perhaps have a 1099-R referring to Florida? Do you have another W-2 that needs to be deleted and re-entered by hand?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies