Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How turn off auto-state download in Turbotax Business?

The first tax return I did, the Partnership is in Ohio but it is a non-taxed entity so I only file a Federal return not a State return.  But TurboTax automatically downloaded Ohio without asking me.  Now I have to pay $55 for the state I actually need for another Partnership. 

I'm sure I'll never get my $55 back, but I was shocked it downloaded without asking my permission.  How do I prevent this in the future?  I don't know where it got the information from that made it think that was what I wanted.  

Thanks

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

How turn off auto-state download in Turbotax Business?

@qofmiwok 

1)  for Desktop "Business", there is no free state, so you pay $55 for whatever state you actually use.

2)  Autodownloads?   Yeah, that's been an issue with the all the personal editions too...the software may autodownload a state that it "thinks" you need, or perhaps used once in the past, or perhaps a state you live in....BUT... do you get charged for a state that downloads and isn't used?...Nope...only if you actually use it.  So if Ohio is sitting in your software, as long as you do not use it you are not charged for it, even if it's sitting there.

Not sure anyone has found an easy workaround for downloading states you don't want.  I think there were a few ways in the past that involved deleting certain files.  Maybe someone who knows/remembers will post here.

In past years, my Desktop Premier autodownloaded a couple states I no longer used.  I wasn't charged for them as long as I didn't actually use them (and still got to use the one free state I did need, and was allowed for "Premier" desktop). Those extra states stopped when I moved to a new computer, and reinstalled the past 3 years desktop software from scratch (and I made sure I didn't open any files that contained a different state I may have used in the past.)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies