Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to figure capital loss carryover on my CA state taxes, I use the standard deduction.

I have had this loss carryover on fed taxes for several years but have never claimed on my CA state taxes

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How to figure capital loss carryover on my CA state taxes, I use the standard deduction.

If you have not calculated the California loss carryover for several years, you will need to go back to the first year you did not carry over the loss and re-calculate your state returns for the missing years in order, as you cannot have skipped years in the carryover calculation.  This will require you to amend your returns.  (A link is below.)

TurboTax California does not use the federal carryover amount because it is often different, so if it did not transfer from the last year, you have to enter it. 

When you are amending, you should pull out your previous years' California returns and look at the Schedule D line 6 for the carryover. If it's not there, then you would have had an addition adjustment on Schedule CA line 13.

Here is the link to  Amend My Return

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If you have not calculated the California loss carryover for several years, you will need to go back to the first year you did not carry over the loss and re-calculate your state returns for the missing years in order, as you cannot have skipped years in the carryover calculation.  This will require you to amend your returns.  (A link is below.)

TurboTax California does not use the federal carryover amount because it is often different, so if it did not transfer from the last year, you have to enter it. 

When you are amending, you should pull out your previous years' California returns and look at the Schedule D line 6 for the carryover. If it's not there, then you would have had an addition adjustment on Schedule CA line 13.

Here is the link to  Amend My Return

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies