Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bipulh
Returning Member

How to Amend 2022 CA state tax?

I received a 1099-R for 2023 but TT ignored it in 2023 filing and asked me to amend 2022 return. After entering all data, in the filing page, I face this horribly confusing options.

- First it tells me 'You can't eFile your 2022 amended return as e-filing date has passed'

- Next page it ask me print to file by mail for federal tax,, but for CA state tax, I get the following message

"Don't file return by mail that have already been transmitted electronically .....", then 'Do not print' is checked.

If I continue, it let me print the federal return but completely ignore CA state and eventually exit. So I'm at a loss on how to amend by CA state tax.

At no point, I could choose to file CA state return to file by mail or e-file.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Not sure why you mean when you assert that you received a 2023 1099R but TurboTax "ignored it."   Did you enter it?  A 2023 1099R has to be entered on a 2023 tax return.  It does not go on a 2022 return.  If you made a mistake and did not enter your 2023 1099R on your 2023 Form 1040, you have to amend 2023.   Not sure why you are trying to do anything to a 2022 return for this.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for amending a tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-return/amend-change-correct-return-a...

To enter your retirement income, Go to  Federal> Wages and Income>Retirement Plans and Social Security>IRA  401 k) Pension Plan Withdrawals to enter your 1099R.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
bipulh
Returning Member

When you enter 1099-R information in Turbox Tax, it ask at the very end, 'Enter the year as it shown in your 1099-R', The answers are in option as '2023' or '2024'. My form shows '2023' and then Turbo Tax respond, 'It looks like you'll have to amend your 2022 return'.

I did do my research, and found many references like this. My 1099-R is resulted from excess contribution in IRA which I had to withdraw. Now it looks like paying a penalty was better than withdrawing the excess amount to avoid this amending past return.

Also TT should ask the year question first instead of taking all the data and then ignoring it based on the year shown on the form. 

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Can you clarify if you are trying to amend your 2022 California tax return or your 2023 California tax return?  

Any amendments for tax years prior to 2023 will need to be done using the desktop program.  Please see this link for guidance on amending a prior year return.  There may be some steps that you still need to take to start the amended return.

If the amendment is for the 2023 tax returns, please see this link for guidance.

In regards to the excess contribution, if this is for a traditional IRA, you will need to request a withdrawal of the excess contribution.  You will be taxed on the taxable income earned that has not been withdrawn yet as well as being subject to the 6% tax for the excess contribution amount.  Please see this link for more details or if you are referring to an excess contribution to a Roth IRA, please see this link.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies