Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I save my TurboTax Desktop return as a PDF without printing

I'm done filing and want to just save my return as a pdf on my computer. TT says "Here's how to save a copy of your return for your records" followed by a button that says "Print Returns" and the statement "This will print a copy of all your prepared returns with PDF options for your records."

I'm afraid if I click the button, it's going to print out hundreds of pages of return (including duplicating the federal one for my state return) - a real waste of ink and paper!  Is that the only option?  Or will clicking that button take me to the usual print window which gives me the option to save as pdf, print specific pages, etc?  I'm afraid to try without knowing the answer to this question!

I will print out select pages that I want printed once I have the pdf.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

No it won't print right then.  It will show you it as a pdf that you can save as pdf or that you can print out.  You can print like any pdf and just pick the pages you want.  I usually print by going to the Forms Mode and print each form I want separately.  

Thanks for the reassurance.  The button could be clearer!

If the printer is OFF, it can't print.

you should know about the CANCEL command for print requests  in progress on your printers.

@rkrkrkCA 

Yes, I know I can cancel but in my experience, by the time that command reaches the printer, it is already in process, and will print several more pages.  And even if the printer is turned off, once it's turned on again, the system remembers the command to print, and it sends the print info to the printer, which then starts printing.

In this case, the previous answer was correct and helpful - clicking the Print button in TT will open the usual print dialog box, at which point one can choose to just save it instead (and all of the usual other options).

TomK2023
Expert Alumni

Click on Print Center in top right-hand corner.  Popup will allow you to print, review or save as PDF.  See image below.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies