turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I safely remove State data not used???

I am doing the Tax for my daughter and myself. I have worked in two states: NY and NJ; and she lives/works only in NJ.

So, my turbotax includes one free state NJ, and I bought NY. So, for my return, I saw Federal Return/NY Tax Due/NJ Tax Due. When I open my daughter's return, it also shows Federal Return/NY Tax Due/NJ Tax Due.

How do I remove NY from her return?  I found out that under the File menu, there is "Remove Data" (and it shows NY and NJ). Can I just remove NY from her return? I am afraid this will also de-install my NY state, and I will lose all my NY data entered???

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DavidD66
Employee Tax Expert

It sounds like you are using TurboTax Desktop.  If you want to remove a state  from a return, while in that return, Click on File, Click on Remove State Return, Clcik on 2020 New York Individual Income Tax Return.   This will only remove New York from the return you are in when you perform these steps.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DavidD66
Employee Tax Expert

It sounds like you are using TurboTax Desktop.  If you want to remove a state  from a return, while in that return, Click on File, Click on Remove State Return, Clcik on 2020 New York Individual Income Tax Return.   This will only remove New York from the return you are in when you perform these steps.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies