turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I get a 1099G from New York State since they did not mail me one?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

Click here  1099G New York, scroll down and select "Get Form 1099-G".  F ollow prompts to enter the required information.  Please also read the NOTE at the bottom of the page for unemployment compensation.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

Click here  1099G New York, scroll down and select "Get Form 1099-G".  F ollow prompts to enter the required information.  Please also read the NOTE at the bottom of the page for unemployment compensation.

Why in H-ll NYS doesn't mail these out each year is quite the mystery.  I'd settle for it being emailed.  But it's not.  So you have to find the mystery web page, and figure out the magic spell to get it to allow you to print out this 1099G that has something to do with last year's tax refund.

Here's the problem.  You put in the code it displays.  Fine.  You check last year's IT201* or equiv.  Like for the 201 I believe line 76, the amount you paid total to the state.  You put in the SSN of the person' whose name is first in your filing.  So if your spouse is first, you second, your spouse's SSN.  Your last name.  So here's the first question - Say Jones.  Do you enter JONES or Jones?  Then your zip code.  Let's say your zip is 12345-6789, and that's what you have on your 201 from last year.  What do you actually enter?

Every year I try every combination of JONES or Jones, 5 digit zip, 9 with "-", 9 without "-" - and it just doesn't work.  Your odds of it working are zero % at night, weekend, or holiday.  Working daytime on weekdays about 1%.

Does anyone here know how to get it to work properly?

Forgot to mention - you always have to put in your refund from the year before (though rules are based on whether you itemized - either last year or this year).  But the amount you enter usually differs from what refund you actually got.  And that number is only on this mystery 1099G which the State of New York makes so hard to get.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies