Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I file state taxes if I had a temporary residence and worked in Florida or 1/2 of the year and permanent home in Mississippi and worked there for 3 months?

Worked in Florida for approx 9 months and had a temporary home there.. Worked in MS approx 3 months and have a permanent home there.... w-2 only shows federal wages and MS wages.  How do I file my State Taxes?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

How do I file state taxes if I had a temporary residence and worked in Florida or 1/2 of the year and permanent home in Mississippi and worked there for 3 months?

Income earned from all sources is taxable on the MS state tax return.  Since Florida does not have a personal income tax there is no other state credit to enter on the MS tax return.  You file your MS state tax return as a full time resident.

Thank you,I accidentally added a Florida non resident Tab in Turbo Tax as well as MS Resident Tab.  When I try and delete the Florida tab it doesn't go away.  Not sure if I should just leave it or how I can delete it?

In the My Info section of the program did you indicate you lived in or made money in other state?  If so change your answers to NO since it was Florida.  Then see if you can delete the Florida return.

LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

Here's how to delete a state return in the TurboTax for Windows Desktop software:

1. With your return open in TurboTax, switch to Forms Mode by selecting the Forms icon
  2. From the File menu, choose Remove State Return. (This won't delete your state program, just the state tax return)
  3. Select the return you want to delete and then select Remove
  4. Answer Yes to confirm
  5. If you want to start a new state return, select the Step-by-Step icon, and then select the State Taxes tab

If you inadvertently downloaded the wrong state software and are still having issues, please contact us and we'll take care of you.

You can delete your state return in TurboTax Online by following these instructions:

Note: If you've already paid your TurboTax state fees or registered your free version with your state return attached, you can't delete your state return.

1. Sign in and open a section of your return.
  2. From the menu, select State and then select Continue on the Let's get your state taxes done right screen.
  3. On the Status of your state returns screen, select Delete next to your state, then answer Yes.

If you’ve already paid your state fees, you can’t delete your return, but you can start over by selecting Start Over next to your state return on the Status of your state returns screen.

Click here for how to delete your state return in TurboTax desktop.

Click here for how to delete your state tax return in TurboTax Online.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies