turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I Delete state return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
AbigailH

To delete state return, follow the instructions below.

You can delete your TurboTax Online state return as long as you haven't paid for it yet (or registered in a free version):

1. Sign in to your return, if you're not already signed in.
    (To do this, sign in to TurboTax and select the orange Take me to my return button.)
  2. Click State Taxes near the top of your screen, and then Select Your State Returns.
  3. On that screen, click the Delete link right next to the Edit button, and then answer Yes.

If you don't see the Edit or Delete button on the Your State Returns screen and haven't paid or registered, please do the following:

1. Click State Taxes.
  2. Select the Your State Returns screen.
  3. Click Start next to the state you want to delete.
  4. After the transfer of the information completes, click Continue.
  5. Once the next screen has loaded, click State Taxes and then select Your State Returns.
  6. Click Delete next to the state that you want deleted.
  7. Click Yes.

In some cases, you won't see the option to delete, just Edit and Start Over. This is because you either already paid for your state or registered your free version while that state was attached to your return.

So if I only have the option to "Edit" or "start over" what do I do?? 

Do I have to start over from scratch? 

Please help! 

Thanks! 

JohnW152
Expert Alumni

It's your call, but if you start over, you'll have to re-input almost everything.

When you’ve already paid your state fees for TurboTax, you can’t delete your return.  You can edit, or start over by selecting Start Over next to your state return on the Status of your state returns screen.

I bought Turbo Tax for the purpose of doing my federal return.  I completed it this morning.  As I completed the federal return, it offered state return also, so I completed a PA return.  Except I forgot I already did it and paid what I owed on the state free-file website 2 months ago.   Can I unsend my PA return and stop the direct draft on my account?

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

Unless the PA return is rejected, you cannot "unsend" the return,  You should contact the Pennsylvania Department of Revenue to explains what happened and stop the direct debit.

@IRSDERishel

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies