turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cmquinn27

How do I change my Maryland nonresident status for coming out of my paycheck? Should I owe when they’ve taken hundreds every paycheck for that when I’ve been a resident?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

How do I change my Maryland nonresident status for coming out of my paycheck? Should I owe when they’ve taken hundreds every paycheck for that when I’ve been a resident?

For income tax purposes, you are considered a Maryland resident from May - Dec of 2018.  You should file a Part-Year State Return for Maryland.

It sounds like you haven't had enough Maryland income tax withholding from your paycheck. You can complete a new Form 507 to increase your withholding and give to your Employer: https://forms.marylandtaxes.gov/current_forms/mw507.pdf.

Be sure you have entered your 2018 residency correctly.  To do so, follow these steps:

• Open your return
  • Click the "My Info" tab in TurboTax Online (left side of screen) or "Personal Info" tab in TurboTax Desktop
  • Click "Edit" next to your name 
  • For question #2, answer "Yes" that you lived in another State in 2018 and choose "California" from the drop-down menu
  • Enter the date of your move
  • Scroll down and click "Continue"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

What state do you live in? What state do you work in?
cmquinn27

As of May 2018 I live and work in Maryland.
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

What about Jan-Apr?
cmquinn27

Not working. I was in a course to get a certified for my job. Considered a California resident though.
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

For income tax purposes, you are considered a Maryland resident from May - Dec of 2018.  You should file a Part-Year State Return for Maryland.

It sounds like you haven't had enough Maryland income tax withholding from your paycheck. You can complete a new Form 507 to increase your withholding and give to your Employer: https://forms.marylandtaxes.gov/current_forms/mw507.pdf.

Be sure you have entered your 2018 residency correctly.  To do so, follow these steps:

• Open your return
  • Click the "My Info" tab in TurboTax Online (left side of screen) or "Personal Info" tab in TurboTax Desktop
  • Click "Edit" next to your name 
  • For question #2, answer "Yes" that you lived in another State in 2018 and choose "California" from the drop-down menu
  • Enter the date of your move
  • Scroll down and click "Continue"

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies