turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

NL1980
Returning Member

How do I calculate working days outside of New York?

We moved from NY to IL last year in June.  my husband's employer is based in IL.  We have 2 W-2 that clearly show how much was earned before and how much after our move.  But I am getting really confused trying to answer the questions to calculate the number of NY working days.  During our NY residency period, he was working physically in the IL office about 2 weeks per month and then another week per month traveling to other markets.  so, the number of days he was actually in NY working from a "home office" was roughly 30 days.

If I calculate he worked 245 days total for the whole year, do I combine the days we LIVED in IL together with the days he flew from NY to work in the IL office AND the days he traveled to other cities so his "outside of New York"days is 215?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

How do I calculate working days outside of New York?

It depends.

New York taxes nonresidents and part-year residents on any income derived from New York sources.  Since your spouse was working from Illinois but for the New York based company, his income would still be considered to be from New York sources.

The number of days is used for determining credit amounts so just use your best estimate of the number of days worked outside of New York.  Be sure to retain support with your tax documents for how you arrived at the number of days if the taxing authorities request support.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies