Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bill132

How do I adjust my state income in TurboTax, since I am a non-resident of CA and worked most of the year remotely? (Only in CA 45 work days.) W2 shows full amount for yr.

California line on W-2 shows full income from CA. I need to adjust the income in my TurboTax state return for only the days I was actually in CA. Source income rule. Thank you.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

How do I adjust my state income in TurboTax, since I am a non-resident of CA and worked most of the year remotely? (Only in CA 45 work days.) W2 shows full amount for yr.

You would file a nonresident return in California and you should only enter wages that you earned while working in California while going through the TurboTax state interview. Don't include any wages that were earned in your resident state.

The first thing you want to do is make sure you've filled out the Personal Info section correctly:

1. With your return open, select My Info in the left-hand menu.
  2. Then, on the Personal info summary screen, scroll down to Other State Income, and select Edit.
  3. At the Did you make money in any other states? question, answer Yes and make sure your nonresident state(s) are selected from the drop-down.
  4. Select Continue to return to your Personal info summary.
  5. Click on State on the left-hand side.
  6. Add California
  7. Follow the on-screen instructions.
  8. On the screen Did you earn all of your income in California? click No, I earned all or some in a different state. 

To ensure accurate calculations, always complete the non-resident (CA) return first if filing in multiple states because your resident state will give you a credit for taxes paid. This is especially important since you stated your income was fully taxed in the state of California. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
bill132

Thank you for the quick reply. I followed your instructions. As it turns out, the state interview is not asking me about income earned while in California. It did not ask any questions on income. Is this because my W-2 already has a line on it for my total CA income from my employer in CA for my federal return? I need to adjust my CA income to the amount that I actually earned while in CA.

bill132

I removed the CA return and re-entered the information. It asked me for the amount in CA. Thank you for your assistance.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies