Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kchin1094

Hi I worked at my Uni in NC and then at a firm in WY FY2018. I just reported earnings in NC for State filing as WY has no state tax but I got a penalty notice need help?

Since I earned in Uni, it was nominal income but I had a fulltime job in WY. Still NC considered my WY income as taxable income and they have charged me full state tax for the year, even when I have not earned any income in NC which was taxable. My current employer received an Attachment
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Hi I worked at my Uni in NC and then at a firm in WY FY2018. I just reported earnings in NC for State filing as WY has no state tax but I got a penalty notice need help?

@kchin1094 

Uni=University?

1)  One situation:

IF you were a college student in NC, and also a resident of NC (under age 24 for 2018, and parents lived in NC).

Then...NC is allowed to tax ALL your income, from everywhere for that year.  .....even for the temp job in WY.   So you likely should have included those WY wages.   NC tax forms allows you to take a credit for taxes paid to that other state so you don't get double-taxed, but since WY doesn't have an income tax there's no credit to give, so NC gets to tax all of it.    This is not an unusual situation...all the states with an income tax would have done ti the same way.

Not quite your situation for 2018?  Then you'd have to explain more.

2)   Like...if you were a college student and NC resident in 2018, but moved to WY mid-year (no longer a college student) and did not return to NC.  That would be more of a part-year situation where you should have filed a part-year NC tax return for 2018....reporting all of your yearly income (including the WY wages), but then the NC Part-Year tax forms would only have taxed just your income during the time you were resident in NC.

But the details of your situation are not clear...could be some other situation you have not really made that clear yet.   

IF the state of NC is already going to start taking (garnishing) some of your current income to pay those back-taxes, then you may have to see a local tax professional for advice on whether you can do anything about it now or not.   You may actually owe the $$, or if you don't (too many details missing), an amended tax return NC tax return for 2018 "might" have fixed it before now, but it "might" be too late now....don't know...too many "might's"

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies