Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Heads up to any other sole proprietors trying to use form 3468 to take solar tax credit

I am a sole proprietor with a rental property.  I installed solar panels in 2023 and was instructed to claim the federal 30% credit using form 3468.  Two issues have come up:  First, TurboTax (Home and Business version) insists I put an IRS pre-registration number on line 2a, even though in fact I am not even eligible to apply for one since I don't have (or need) an EIN.  Anyone come up with a workaround for this?  (I saw a discussion thread about it among intuit tax professionals but no solution put forth.)  Second, there seems to be a problem with TurboTax transferring the number from line 32 of form 3468 to Part III line 4a of form 3800--the number entered by TurboTax on form 3800 is double the number calculated and recorded on form 3468.  My suspicion is that TurboTax is creating an extra identical copy of form 3468 and adding that to the original one.  The reason I think this is that when I run the error check, it flags TWO errors on form 3468 about that first issue I mentioned, leaving line 2a blank.  If I "fix" the error by entering a dummy number in line 2a, both error flags go away.   I've been in touch with TurboTax customer service and they are "investigating" the issue about the incorrect credit on form 3800 issue and don't know when they will have an answer.  They had no suggestion at all about the issue of requiring an IRS pre-authorization number on line 2a. I'm curious if anyone else has run into either of these issues and if you have found a solution.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

Heads up to any other sole proprietors trying to use form 3468 to take solar tax credit

I have an EIN and have tried to get the preregistration number but have had numerous issues with he IRS website saying the system is unavailable when I go to submit the form.   I am considering submitting without the reapproval number and forcing it through the program that way and ignoring the error message.   Thanks for the heads up on following the flow of the numbers to form 3800

If the solar was for personal residence then you dont use 3468   There is another form used for that.   

Correct-this is for a business property though, not my personal residence.

Good luck.  I tried to get through to a live person at the IRS to talk to but there is apparently nobody available there to speak to live about the preregistration requirements and process.  They could only direct me to what was supposed to be an interactive phone system but each time I was redirected there I heard the message that this service was no longer supported live.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

This is on the IRS Known Issues Report. There is a workaround provided for this issue. If you enter ""TMXXX99XXXXX" on Line 2a, this will allow you to e-file.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for this helpful information!

For Catina--just so you are aware, the several TurboTax customer service agents I spoke with did not seem to know about this work around for the item on line 2a.  Perhaps it would be good to advise them of it.  Now, I'm just waiting for a resolution to the bug where the credit amount is doubled!

pinhole-balboas-
Returning Member

The doubling the credit from the 3468 to the 3800 wll be fixed on the March 22.  

I just filed by overriding the entry on form 3800 correcting it so it was no longer double.  Turbotax let me efile, but then later rejected it with this message: 

There is a potential issue with the calculation regarding Form 3800 General Business Credits.

We've identified the issue... it will be resolved in a release scheduled March 22, 2024.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

That is correct: Why is Form 3800 Part 3 doubling my General Business Credit amount?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies