Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ptallman

Going from married filing separate to joing with a state refund and a state payment from 2021

Last year we filed MFS and ended up with 2 different outcomes for state withholding.  I received a refund and my husband owed.   We're in Idaho

This year we want to file MFJ and am not sure how to handle listing the "refund."  When I pull info over, it only brings my refund over (I started from my 2021 return to bring info to this year and then added my husband's info as new).  Do I leave the refund as is or do I net his payment with my refund?

I hope that's clear...

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Going from married filing separate to joing with a state refund and a state payment from 2021

It depends.  If both of you itemized deductions last year then you should include both refunds on the joint return for 2022.  By the way, if one of you itemized deductions in 2021, on a married filing separate return both are required to use itemized deductions.

If neither of you itemized your deductions in 2021, you can disregard the state refunds received in 2022.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ptallman

Ok - we didn't itemize.  He had to pay and I got a refund - TT is asking for the amount of the refund, so should I just enter the amount I was refunded?

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

You can and then you will be asked if you itemized.  You answer you used the standard deduction and the amount will not be taxable.

The other alternative since you didn't itemize is don't enter the refund at all into TurboTax as it is not taxable.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies