turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Full year NY State resident. W2 income issues after changing residency during the year from NYC to Yonkers.

I am wondering if this is correct - just doesnt seem so to me.

I have lived in NYC for years now, but on October 1st I moved to Yonkers. So basically I was NYC resident for 9 months and Yonkers resident for 3 months. I work in NYC but you only pay tax on NYC income while you lived there.

My w2 shows Federal income of $100. I would have expected NYC income to be for 3 quarters, so $75 and Yonkers to be 1 quarter so $25. My W2 shows NY State wages as $100 which is correct. It shows NYC wage as $74, which also seems correct (its close enough where I am not going to dig into it). But my Yonkers wages are listed as $100 - thats where the confusion is. Shouldnt Yonkers wages be listed as $25 for 1 quarter that I lived there? If I am paying NYC tax on 3 quarters of income while I lived there and then Yonkers for full year of income - I am grossly overpaying.

Either the w2 is wrong or I am missing something basic. Any help will be appreciated.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Full year NY State resident. W2 income issues after changing residency during the year from NYC to Yonkers.

You need to complete the IT-360.1 to allocate the Yonkers income. In TurboTax-

If your wages are not editable because they are directly from your W-2 and listed as Yonkers wages, you'll need to add a wage item with the adjustment amount. You will then be able to allocate this adjustment.-

1. Go back to New York City and Yonkers Information.

2. Indicate your city residency information-- New York City and Yonkers Part-Year Residency Period

3. Look for the New York City Wages Summary- then You New York City Wages--> Allocate this employer by percent

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies