Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

CC444

Full Time College Student in Massachusetts, 2 months summer intership living in NY while the company is in Connecticut

My child is a full time student in Massachusetts who did 2 months paid internship where she lived in NY City for those 2 months, however the actual company is located in Connecticut? Does my daughter have to file 3 state tax returns, one for her resident state of Massachusetts, second one for NY City, and third one for Connecticut? Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

Full Time College Student in Massachusetts, 2 months summer intership living in NY while the company is in Connecticut

No, just two states.

In general, you owe tax in the state where you live and in the state(s) where you work.

1. She files a residential return for MA.

2. She files a non-residential return for NY. (NYS and maybe NYC).

3. She files no return for CT because she neither lived there nor worked there.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
CC444

Thank you!

CC444

Did Non-resident NY state tax then completed Resident MA state tax. How do I file NY City tax?  Thank you!

TomD8
Level 15

@CC444 --

Since your daughter's stay in NYC was temporary and lasted only two months, for tax purposes she is a non-resident of NYC.  The NYC city income tax is imposed only on NYC residents.  Your daughter is not subject to that tax.  She is obligated only to pay New York state income tax.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies