kmtwood

Free State Download?

I live in a state that does not require me to file state taxes.  I'm helping my in-laws with their taxes and they lived in CA for 2 months last year.  Since I purchased TurboTax Federal only, is there a free state I can download to file their taxes?  They sold their home in CA so I'm not sure if I can use the "simple" online filing for State.

Thanks!

Free State Download?

The state software goes with the software you are using for the federal return.  The information flows from the federal return to the state return.   You cannot use the CD/download (if that is what you are doing) and then use online TT for a stand alone state return---it just does not work that way.  If you already have desktop software (Basic or Deluxe without state software?)  then it is an extra fee to download state software.   There is also a fee to e-file a state return using desktop software but you can avoid that fee if you print and mail the state return instead of e-filing it.

kmtwood

Free State Download?

Thank you!

That's what I thought but was just checking to see if there was a work around.