Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nhmrmnc
Returning Member

Florid resident with virtual New York City office

I live in Florida and work from home.  The company I am working for is a registered New York corporation and has a virtual office in New York.  Due to the pandemic they have gone total virtual and no longer have a physical office in NY or any other state.  My question is do I still have to pay New York state taxes if there is not a physical office?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

No.  You owe the NY tax if you are working remotely for your own convenience, but not if you are working remotely for the company's convenience.  If the company closed their physical office and you couldn't work in NY if you wanted to, then it's definitely the company's convenience.

(However, if this change occurred in the middle of the year, you might owe part-year taxes.  But I would say that from whatever time they closed their physical office, you are working at their convenience from that point.)

You may need to keep documentation of this situation (emails, contracts, etc.) in case NY sends you a tax bill. 

Hal_Al
Level 15

Here's a link to New York's memorandum on its "convenience of the employer" tax doctrine regarding non-resident telecommuters: https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/memos/income/m06_5i.pdf

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies