Filing timing

tk37

Filing timing

I will get a refund from Indiana state income tax but must pay Federal income tax and they do not completely offset each other.  Can I file the state return in late January when the filing period opens and hold the federal return until April 15, 2021?

Filing timing

That plan only works if print and mail the state return.  When you e-file, the federal return has to be e-filed first and be accepted BEFORE the state can be e-filed and accepted.  So if you want to file the state first and wait for the state refund, print it sign it and mail it.

Filing timing

Or efile both together and say you will mail a check for the federal.  Then you can send it later or pay directly online at the IRS whenever you want.

Filing timing

@VolvoGirl @tk37 Duh.....Maybe with a little more caffeine I would have come up with that too.....

tk37

Filing timing

Brilliant suggestion!  Navigates the rules in a simple fashion!  Thank you xmasbaby0.  I will have a glass of Special Reserve Crown Royal to celebrate your idea! 🙂

tk37

Filing timing

I am peeing my pants laughing at how simple the ideas are.  Bureaucrats do not have a chance!!!