turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tk37
Level 2

Filing timing

I will get a refund from Indiana state income tax but must pay Federal income tax and they do not completely offset each other.  Can I file the state return in late January when the filing period opens and hold the federal return until April 15, 2021?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Filing timing

That plan only works if print and mail the state return.  When you e-file, the federal return has to be e-filed first and be accepted BEFORE the state can be e-filed and accepted.  So if you want to file the state first and wait for the state refund, print it sign it and mail it.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Filing timing

Or efile both together and say you will mail a check for the federal.  Then you can send it later or pay directly online at the IRS whenever you want.

Filing timing

@VolvoGirl @tk37 Duh.....Maybe with a little more caffeine I would have come up with that too.....

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
tk37
Level 2

Filing timing

Brilliant suggestion!  Navigates the rules in a simple fashion!  Thank you xmasbaby0.  I will have a glass of Special Reserve Crown Royal to celebrate your idea! 🙂

tk37
Level 2

Filing timing

I am peeing my pants laughing at how simple the ideas are.  Bureaucrats do not have a chance!!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies