Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am trying to find where to enter a solar energy credits of $1000 for my state refund (MA) for installing solar panels on my house? I believe I did it for federal

I believe I did this correctly for my federal return but I'm not sure this carried over to my Mass state return.  Is there a separate place I am supposed to enter this for the Massachusetts state tax credit?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
roccociri

I am trying to find where to enter a solar energy credits of $1000 for my state refund (MA) for installing solar panels on my house? I believe I did it for federal

On your Massachusetts state tax form go to credits and then go to business related non refundable credit and it will have a drop down that list solar energy and enter your amount. mine was $1000.  

In box 3a, it asks for the Federal ID for the credit source, any idea where one could find that?
roccociri

I do not know box 3a. go to mass state returns. go to credits. go to nonrefundable credits. a drop list comes up with possible credits. go to SLRWND and open and put in the amount of your credit and hit done
voisil

Federal ID number of credit source? Period end date? certificate number? credit you recieved? Credit you are taking this year? Credit you are sharing this year?  That is in no way what we are looking for.  This is obviously a business related thing - not a residential thing.  We NEED residential, but there is no option for that here.

TurboTax's handling of this is not that great.

1. If you haven't already, you must complete Schedule EC yourself. You can get a copy of the form from Mass DOR: http://www.mass.gov/dor/docs/dor/forms/inctax16/addl/sch-ec.pdf

2. You enter the credit amount on the MA Credits screen as a "Business related non-refundable credit" - ignore the fact that you may not be a business.

3. Select the "Solar and Wind Energy Credit". Just enter the credit amounts - ignore the fields that don't apply to you.

TurboTax should generate Schedule CMS for you. You won't be able to e-file, as you need to send in the paper Schedule EC with your tax return.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies