Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Federal Annuity withheld state tax in 2020, but I moved from that state in 2019

I have a 2020 federal annuity CSA 1099R that has state tax withheld from Georgia.  It's a small amount, less than $400. I moved from that state officially on December 31, 2019.  It appears that my address update with OPM reflecting Virginia as my 2020 residence did not start until a couple of months in to 2020.   Do I file a non-resident GA state tax return to recoup the $400? I'm having a hard time trying to make that happen as TurboTax is showing that I owe Georgia lots of money, but I did not live in Georgia in 2020.  All of the activity for 2020 state taxes should only be reflected in my Virginia state return.  Any help sorting this out is appreciated!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Yes. The only way to get back our $400 is to file a nonresident Georgia income tax return. Unfortunately, OPM cannot get the money back for you.

In Georgia, you will see a section called Georgia income and Adjustments and then a series of screens called Georgia Part-Year and Nonresidents.

• The Georgia amount on those screens should be $0 with all the income going to Other State.
  • Look for Pension/Annuity and IRA/SEP Distributions. That will be your OPM pension. Double check that the entire amount is on Other State.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Yes. The only way to get back our $400 is to file a nonresident Georgia income tax return. Unfortunately, OPM cannot get the money back for you.

In Georgia, you will see a section called Georgia income and Adjustments and then a series of screens called Georgia Part-Year and Nonresidents.

• The Georgia amount on those screens should be $0 with all the income going to Other State.
  • Look for Pension/Annuity and IRA/SEP Distributions. That will be your OPM pension. Double check that the entire amount is on Other State.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I entered the exact number from Georgia into the OTHER STATE column.  The Georgia column reflected ZERO and fixed the problem!  The non-resident return now gives me the exact money that was erroneously paid to them by OPM! 

IT WORKED!!!! I kept entering 0 in the other state for two hours.  Then I realized I needed to enter the exact amount that Georgia was showing.  When I did, the Georgia amount reflected 0 and the state income total was the amount that was overpaid!   THANK YOU 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies