Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Exempt interest is being taxed in turbo tax

When I add interest on line 13 that should be tax free my refund federal and state, goes down almost as much as if I entered in as qualified interest - talked with support and got nothing more than if it is entered correctly then it is right. There is no other data entered in any other box except the state it was earned in.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

We're not discussing just any 1099 (there are several different kinds, with entirely different box numbering)...this is for a 1099-DIV !!

___

IF you are receiving Social Security, and have a Social Security SA-1099 already entered,  putting $$ into box 12 of a 1099-DIV? .....That WILL make more of your Social Security subject to taxation....up until 85% of the SS is being taxed.

Tax-exempt income is included in income for the purposes of determining how much SS is going to get taxed.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

Line 13 of what form?

Box 13 of a 1099-DIV form????

Box 13 of that form indicates the sub-portion of box 12 $$ that came from "Private Activity" bonds. Those are bonds for some things, like a City's Professional athletics stadium.  Those $$ do become taxable in some situations.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

I am sorry - box 12 of the 1099 - is when the refund drops dramatically there are only a few pennies in box 13.

The amount of tax was $144 if I put the dividend in a qualified and $114 when it was entered into the exempt area (box 12)

We're not discussing just any 1099 (there are several different kinds, with entirely different box numbering)...this is for a 1099-DIV !!

___

IF you are receiving Social Security, and have a Social Security SA-1099 already entered,  putting $$ into box 12 of a 1099-DIV? .....That WILL make more of your Social Security subject to taxation....up until 85% of the SS is being taxed.

Tax-exempt income is included in income for the purposes of determining how much SS is going to get taxed.

Thank you, I guess that makes this investment even less attractive.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies