I just finished doing my taxes and when it ask me how I wanted to do my state (New York) I chose to print it and mail myself. When all was down I printed it and the papers say I need to efile. I can not go back to efile. Please help, I chose to have deduction come out of my bank account on March 6th.
Although you can e-file your federal and state taxes together, if you choose to e-file your federal first, you'll have to wait until that return has been accepted before you can e-file your state.
Once your federal return has been accepted, you should be able to e-file your New York State return as long as you have not mailed it yet.
To e-file your New York return:
- In TurboTax Online, sign in to your account.
- Select Tax Home in the left menu.
- Scroll down to Your tax returns & documents.
- Select 2020, and then select Add a State (you're not actually adding a state, this just gets you into the right area).
- Select File in the left menu (expand your browser window if you don't see this, or select the menu icon in the top left corner).
- On the Just one more step screen, follow steps 1 and 2 if you haven't already.
- Select the Start button to the right of Step 3.
- On the Let's get ready to e-file screen, select I want to e-file.
- Follow the instructions to e-file your return.
I followed the instructions and when I got to the efile part. It said my return could not be efile because of certain situations. Is it because I was furloughed and I need to supply forms or something? Please let know so I can file and get it over with.
If you are still unable to e-file, it is most likely due to the Form IT-2 being attached to your return. Since the IT-2 form is unsupported in TurboTax, you are not required to e-file.
Per NYS, you're required to electronically file your return if you meet all three of the following conditions:
- You use software to prepare your own personal income tax return
- Your software supports the electronic filing of your return
- You have broadband Internet access
You are qualified to mail in your return because your software does not support electronic filing of this form.
There is no penalty for mailing in your return.
If you are NOT including a payment, mail your return to:
STATE PROCESSING CENTER
PO BOX 61000
ALBANY NY 12261-0001
If you ARE including a payment (check or money order), mail your return (including Form IT-201-V) to:
STATE PROCESSING CENTER
PO BOX 15555
ALBANY NY 12212-5555
I'm in California... I paid for e-filing my State return when I e-filed my Federal return... there were some issues getting my Federal return to go through but it finally did and has been accepted by the IRS however, now I'm trying to go back to e-file my State it keeps saying I have to e-file my Federal. HELP please! How do I get Turbo Tax to e-file my CA Sate return? Thank you
This Turbo Tax FAQ will provide assistance with e-filing the state.
Why am I not able to e-file my state return after filing my Federal return?
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"