Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hapa1
Returning Member

Does this mean I did not finish filing my state taxes?

I received some mail from the California Franchise Tax Board saying that they never received my 2021 tax return. Yet on TurboTax, when I download my return PDF from 2021, I can clearly see "California Nonresident or Part-Year Resident Income Tax Return California Form 540NR". For context, in January of 2021 I started a new job and that May, I moved from California to Texas.

What perplexes me even more is that TurboTax shows that I submitted my Federal Tax Return but does not give any verification that I submitted my California return. Does this mean I filed incorrectly or simply did not finish filing state taxes?

Below is a screenshot of what I see in TurboTax for my 2021 return.

TurboTax1.png

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Does this mean I did not finish filing my state taxes?

This message is telling you that there were additional steps needed to submit your CA return, whether it was to print and mail your return (if that is what you chose) or that it was rejected and you needed to correct it and resubmit it.  You should have received an email or text message IF you e-filed, telling you that your return was rejected and you needed to go back and make a correction.

TurboTax has no way to know if you sent the return if you chose to print and mail it, so you would need to go on the CA website to find out if they did receive it. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies