Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I owe taxes to Massachusetts if my health insurance company is based in California?

I am covered under my parents' plan in California. I am stuck on how to accurately fill out the MA Health Insurance tax info because while I did have insurance that allowed me to see providers in MA (currently live here), I don't have a Form-MA 1099 HC. 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Do I owe taxes to Massachusetts if my health insurance company is based in California?

No, you should not owe taxes to MA as long as you are covered.

Are you a student?  If you are and your home state is CA, you should be filing a non-resident return which is not ask  you about your health insurance.  To qualify as a resident you must have established a permanent residence in MA.  If your primary home is still with your parents, you would not be a resident. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am not a student, but I have a MA license & work for a company based in MA. I also have a permanent residence here. 

You need to contact your insurance company (or go to your online account) and request a form 1099 HC so that you can prove you were offered and covered by insurance all year.  If you were not covered, then as a MA resident, you would have to pay a penalty.  Since you were covered under your parents plan, you will not owe.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies