• Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ericahaislip

Do I need to pay South Carolina State income tax quarterly

I am self-employed and currently pay the IRS quarterly taxes, but am unsure if I am supposed to pay the state of South Carolina quarterly for state taxes.  

5 Replies
ScruffyCurmudgeon
Level 7

It would appear that South Carolina also expects "pay as you earn" Estimated Taxes:

Form SC1040ES

Scruffy Curmudgeon--PFFM/ IAFF, Locals 718/30, retired firefighter/medic; univ faculty NOT INTUIT EMPLOYEE
- Strategy & Quantitative Methods Med-M&M, Law discriminatory statistics, Med & PH - epidemiology statistics;
USAR 64-67 AIS/ASA MOS 9301 - O3
-------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------No Not an Intuit Employee - Just donating my time
Emerald Jack
Level 1

What is the penalty for paying by April 15 rather than paying the estimated taxes?  If there is a penalty, is it better to do the Form 2210 or let the state compute?

MaryK1101
Expert Alumni

The penalty is computed quarterly and it is 4% so you take the amount due for the quarter and divide it by the number of days in the quarter and multiply it by the 4%- it is six of one or half dozen of the other- either way will be straight math. 

@Emerald Jack

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Emerald Jack
Level 1

I am surprised by the division by the number of days.  Let's say the amount underpaid for the quarter is $1800.  Then take 90 days in the quarter.  Divide and that is $20.  Then I multiply by 4% to get the penalty?  Seems small.

MaryK1101
Expert Alumni

Yes, the underpayment penalties are small but enough to get people's attention- and they can add up if you do have all year requirements.  

@Emerald Jack

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v