Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I need to mail in my Indiana IT-40 tax papers if I paid online?

I paid my taxes online. Does Indiana require you to send in my tax paper's?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Did you efile your state tax return? If not, then you will need to mail them in by the due date even though you paid the taxes due. 

Indiana mail address

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
barohar
Returning Member

I e-filed with but it came up with a message for documents I still need to print and send in. I had it deducted from my bank account and now it's telling me to send them a check with a payment coupon? It asked if I wanted to deduct it and showed all of my banking information. How can I confirm it is going to auto withdrawal from my bank? I don't to send a check and pay it twice then wait for them to refund the overpayment. Also, why would I pay $25 to e-file if I'm going to have to send a check anyway. This makes no sense. Just threw $25 more away if I have to mail a check in.

barohar
Returning Member

PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Look for a document in your saved files called 'State Information worksheet'. That should have your banking information and the withdrawal date that you selected. 

You may need to open up the return and save the file again with all the worksheets to see the form. 

barohar
Returning Member

I'm not seeing it in my files. Can it be generated again?

PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Click on Tax Home, then scroll to 'add a state'. You aren't actually adding a state but this will open up your return, where you can print all worksheets. 

To access your current or prior year online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the User ID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

When you sign onto your online account and land on the Tax Home web page, scroll down and click on Add a state. 

This will take you back to the 2023 online tax return.

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the online program screen.  Then click on Print Center.  Then click on Print, save or preview this year's return.  Choose the option Include government and TurboTax worksheets

barohar
Returning Member

I'm using Turbo Tax desktop, not online version. I don't need the worksheets, I need proof that the payment was , or will be, deducted from my bank account. Right now, TB is telling me I have to send in a check. If that's the case I should not have been charged $25.00 to simply avoid sending in the documents if I have to mail a check anyway. This is ridiculous.

@barohar  wrote:

I'm using Turbo Tax desktop, not online version.

Click on Forms.  When in Forms mode your State Information Worksheet and the State Filing Instructions will be located directly below the federal tax return, forms, schedules and worksheets.

Click on the worksheet and instructions to open.

@barohar  

If your state accepts direct debit for payment of state taxes owed, the bank information will be on the State Information Worksheet in Part V.  If it is not listed then no payment information was sent to the state when the state tax return was e-filed.  You would have to pay the state taxes owed using the Payment Voucher with a check for payment.  Or you should be able to use the state website to pay online, either by direct debit or by credit card.

Not all states accept direct debit of taxes owed when tax preparation software is being used.

Additionally, how you chose to pay the state taxes owed will be on the State Filing Instructions page.

When using the TurboTax desktop edition there is an e-file fee for each state tax return e-filed.  The current charge is $25.

barohar
Returning Member

So it shows it is using direct debit. Why would the software print out a voucher that says "Make Check Payable to and mail to"? Confusing. So I don't need to send anything to the state, all signatures are electronic? It mentions something about form IT-8453-OL.

@barohar  wrote:

So it shows it is using direct debit. Why would the software print out a voucher that says "Make Check Payable to and mail to"? Confusing. So I don't need to send anything to the state, all signatures are electronic? It mentions something about form IT-8453-OL.

You are good since it shows direct debit.  The payment information was sent to your state. 

There is no need to mail the payment voucher or a check and why the program indicates that you need to mail the payment is unknown.

The form IT-8453-OL is included due to state rules.  I get the same form when e-filing my Georgia return.  I just disregard this form since it is not sent to the state.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies