turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

zzz2
Level 2

Do I have to pay both NJ-1040 & NJ-1040NR?

Hello,

In 2021 I lived in NY for 8 months, worked in NJ, then I moved to NJ and lived there for 4 months, continuing working in NJ.

I used TurboTax Desktop to prepare my taxes and it told me that I only have to pay $200 to NJ.

I paid it.

Recently I received a mail from NJ IRS that I underpaid $5500 to NJ.

Turns out there's also form NJ-1040NR with the amount of $5500 (I found it in the taxes papers generated by TurboTax).

2 questions now:

1) Do I have to pay both NJ-1040 ($200) and NJ-1040NR ($5500)?

2) Why didn't TurboTax tell me to pay NJ-1040NR?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Yes, you have to pay the amounts due on both New Jersey tax returns. The Form NJ-1040NR is for the part of the year that you were not a New Jersey resident but worked in New Jersey. The Form NJ-1040 is for the part of the year that you lived and worked in New Jersey. Income that you earn for working in New Jersey is subject to New Jersey tax, whether you are a resident or a nonresident.

It did tell you, but not in a clear and consistent manner. There does seem to be something of a design defect in the New Jersey interview for your particular situation. Some of the screens show only the amount due on the part-year resident return (NJ-1040), and not the amount due on the part-year nonresident return (NJ-1040NR). But it did tell you that you were filing two separate New Jersey tax returns. And when you printed your New Jersey returns, right after the filing instructions there were two payment vouchers, NJ-1040-V and NJ-1040NR-V, with different payment amounts. Unfortunately there are a couple of places in the filing instructions where it mentions only the payment due on the NJ-1040, but the "What You Need to Mail" section shows the payments due on both returns, and mentions both payment vouchers. If you had reviewed the printed returns more carefully before you mailed them, you would have seen the two returns and the two payment vouchers.

I'm sorry you had this problem. Your situation is somewhat unusual, but the treatment of it in TurboTax certainly could be improved. I will bring it to the attention of the community moderators, who will pass it on to the software development staff.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Yes, you have to pay the amounts due on both New Jersey tax returns. The Form NJ-1040NR is for the part of the year that you were not a New Jersey resident but worked in New Jersey. The Form NJ-1040 is for the part of the year that you lived and worked in New Jersey. Income that you earn for working in New Jersey is subject to New Jersey tax, whether you are a resident or a nonresident.

It did tell you, but not in a clear and consistent manner. There does seem to be something of a design defect in the New Jersey interview for your particular situation. Some of the screens show only the amount due on the part-year resident return (NJ-1040), and not the amount due on the part-year nonresident return (NJ-1040NR). But it did tell you that you were filing two separate New Jersey tax returns. And when you printed your New Jersey returns, right after the filing instructions there were two payment vouchers, NJ-1040-V and NJ-1040NR-V, with different payment amounts. Unfortunately there are a couple of places in the filing instructions where it mentions only the payment due on the NJ-1040, but the "What You Need to Mail" section shows the payments due on both returns, and mentions both payment vouchers. If you had reviewed the printed returns more carefully before you mailed them, you would have seen the two returns and the two payment vouchers.

I'm sorry you had this problem. Your situation is somewhat unusual, but the treatment of it in TurboTax certainly could be improved. I will bring it to the attention of the community moderators, who will pass it on to the software development staff.

zzz2
Level 2

Thank you.

Yes, in the generated pdf there's a statement that I have to pay $5191 additionally, but in the app, TurboTax didn't show it to me. Here's the video proving TurboTax didn't show it:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-J9a1660j2hMyTgHjg9uV4aufMoA8PVW/view?usp=sharing

I think it's HUGE bug in TurboTax. Now I have to additionally pay more than a $1000 in late payment & interest fees.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies