Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Did I make money in other states?

I live in Colorado, but my company is located in Texas and I telecommute/work remotely. I travel occasionally for work (quarterly) for large business meetings in Texas, otherwise I'm still living and working in CO. 

Did I "make money in other states"? I've seen several questions on the topic, but all I got from this is "it's tricky." Thank you in advance, as it's the first time I've had to deal with this tax situation. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Since Texas does not have a personal income tax you would answer No to the question of making money in other states.

Hal_Al
Level 15

Answer No.  The purpose of that question is to see if you need to file a state tax return for another state. 

Having earned money in another state does not reduce the amount of tax calculated for your home state.

This is the general rule: The income is work state (WS) source income since it was earned there. Resident States (RS) tax all their resident's income, regardless of where earned. You will file a non-resident tax return for the WS and report the WS income. You will file a full year resident return for the RS, reporting all your income. The RS will give you a credit, or partial credit for any tax paid to the WS.  Since your WS (TX) doesn't have a tax, all that is moot. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies