Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Inna3
Returning Member

Deferred Compensation, Federal Income Tax Withheld

Hello,

I do my parents taxes each year and I have a question about deferred compensation and how it affects the federal income tax withheld and box 2 on the W-2 form. Both parents work one full-time job each, 5 days a week. Father makes 103K, mother makes 87K. My mother has a deferred compensation plan and her employer withholds about 10% of her gross annual income to put toward the plan. When we get her W-2 at the end of the year, for at least the past 5 years, the federal income tax withheld in box 2 is significantly lower than it should be, it comes out to around 3K. This most recent W-2 for 2023, it is just under 3K. In the past two years, we have tried adjusting her W-4 to include additional income tax we wanted withheld and yet every year the number in box 2 still comes out significantly lower than it should be. They file as married filing jointly, only claim themselves as an allowance on their respective W-4s (writing 1), are paid every 2 weeks, both parents work for the state, neither makes any income in any other state, and are not exempt from any taxes. Not entirely sure if this is just due to her having a deferred compensation plan or something else but I would like to find out a bit more if possible. I have tried researching on my own and have not found much information so any guidance you can provide would be greatly appreciated! 

Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Deferred Compensation, Federal Income Tax Withheld

It could be due to the retirement contributions.  Is W2 box 1 less than box 3?  I'm married but when I worked I claimed Single on the W4 to have more taken out plus I had an extra amount added on.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies