turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bjc16

I live in MD and I worked in DE I received 2 W2 forms one that it says W-2 MD State ref copy and the other says DE State filing copy , in box 15 for state do I put MD ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I live in MD and I worked in DE I received 2 W2 forms one that it says W-2 MD State ref copy and the other says DE State filing copy , in box 15 for state do I put MD ?

Correct.  You will want to treat the two pages as if they were one.  You may enter box 15 as MD, and follow up with the amounts in boxes 16 and 17 for MD (if there are amounts in boxes 16 and 17.  If not, but there are amounts in boxes 18-20, you will not enter state information for MD, but rather local taxes on the lines beneath this.)  However, if you do enter Maryland state income and taxes, then you will click on "Add another line" right underneath that.  You will then enter the Delaware information.

When you do your state taxes, you will want to prepare the Delaware nonresident return first.  Maryland also taxes your income but will give you a credit for the tax you must pay to Delaware.  Preparing Delaware first makes it easier for TurboTax to calculate the credit accurately.  Here is an FAQ with more information:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302052

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Correct.  You will want to treat the two pages as if they were one.  You may enter box 15 as MD, and follow up with the amounts in boxes 16 and 17 for MD (if there are amounts in boxes 16 and 17.  If not, but there are amounts in boxes 18-20, you will not enter state information for MD, but rather local taxes on the lines beneath this.)  However, if you do enter Maryland state income and taxes, then you will click on "Add another line" right underneath that.  You will then enter the Delaware information.

When you do your state taxes, you will want to prepare the Delaware nonresident return first.  Maryland also taxes your income but will give you a credit for the tax you must pay to Delaware.  Preparing Delaware first makes it easier for TurboTax to calculate the credit accurately.  Here is an FAQ with more information:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302052

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jobob

Thank you but how then after doing so as you suggest I still owe DE tax? Shouldn't I get a full credit for taxes I paid to DE since I lived in MD full year 2019. Last year I didn't owe DE anything and this year I do. We made pretty close to the same income as in 2018.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies