turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hdavis001

College student taxed in two locations

I am a full-time college student with a Federal Work Study job in New York and my permanent address is in Connecticut. In 2019 I was taxed in both, New York and Connecticut. After calling the CT tax office I was informed that this was incorrect. I have since resolved the issue and am exempt from future CT taxes for 2020. On 2019 tax return, it says that I owe New York State over $200, even though I paid $57 in NY taxes. Is it possible to resolve this issue even though I changed my withholding elections after 2019? How can I verify if the $57 was the correct taxable amount?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

College student taxed in two locations

It depends.

Typically you are taxed on income in your resident state, or in your case, Connecticut.  This is assuming you will be returning to CT after completing your education in New York. 

Absences from a state to attend school in another state is considered a temporary absence and not a change of domicile unless you have intent to move to the other state.

New York would tax you on any income earned within New York and you would be able to claim a credit for taxes paid to another state on your Connecticut return.

We would not be able to verify how much your taxes should have been here.  However, I have attached a link to the New York Nonresident form instructions with the tax tables starting on page 55. 

You can use the information based upon your tax return to determine what your tax liability should have been as compared to what was reported on your tax return as filed.

New York nonresident form instructions

If you determine your New York return was not prepared correctly, you can prepare an amended state return to make the corrections.

The following link can be used to assist you with preparing the amended returns using TurboTax.

Steps for amending state returns in TurboTax

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies