Solved: Cannot see the file by mail option for state retur...

Cannot see the file by mail option for state return

I e-filed my federal tax return. Now I would like to file my CA state tax by mail.  There is no option to file by mail, only "E-file my state return now" or "Do not e-file my state return now, I'll do it later". I see no option to file by mail.  I cannot do anything after that (only go back).

@czrunner wrote:

I am using Turbotax on a CD, not Turbotax Online, and thus the referenced response is not applicable.  I am not getting the File by Mail option, and with the Turbotax CD there is no payment of fees involved.

Using the desktop editions click on File tab at the top of the desktop program screen.  Click on File a Return.

Choose the File by mail option.  On the following screen select the Do not print my Federal return to file by mail now.  The State return will have the Print my state return to file by mail now selected by default.  Continue.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for how to switch from e-filing to mailing - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/print-and-file/help/how-do-i-switch-from-e-file-to-file-by-mail-in...

@czrunner wrote:

Here's a screen shot.  I efiled Federal and using Don's steps went in to print California.  It knows I already efiled federal.

State Mail.jpg

If you haven't, you should first lookup the federal efile status from inside the program and then save your return so it knows it was efiled.   Go up to FILE - Electronic Filing - Check Electronic Filing Status.  Then go up to FILE - SAVE.  

Thank you.  It worked great for me! I just wish that the options for the federal and state returns filing could be selected directly and independently.