turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I import another TT user's data file? Techie question

My sister had some issues filing her taxes last year (she forgot some entries - TWICE and had to amend 2x). She had used the online version for several years but the 2nd time she amended it was royally messed up so I literally created the correct amended return on my own desktop TT (recreated her original, then amended it to match her first amended return and then amended AGAIN for her to print/send in)!   

I convinced her to purchase the desktop Deluxe version this year given last year's mistakes (and because she inherited 2 IRA in  2022, etc).  We live ~400 miles apart and she'd like me to review her work.   Yes, I could walk through the PDFs, but is there a data file she can send me (i.e. xxx 1040 Individual Tax Return.tax2022) that I can import and enable me to walk through every step just to confirm her entries?  (I'm not  super tech, but I know that is the name of the file saved for my returns each year.)  

(If not, I guess I can recreate it from the PDFs like I did to correct last year's mess!)  She'll officially file her and my other sister's returns from their own desktop copy of TT.  Thanks!  

@Import 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Yes, she can send you the file which you can open on your desktop program. 

you don't import her file. she sends you her tax file which you then download to your computer (anywhere you want)  - make sure the name of the file is different than the one you use for your return. you can either

1) double click (Windows PC not sure with MAC) on it to open it - note if a state return is involved hopefully it's the same state as yours or

2) open the program and click on "find a file" to locate and select it - same issue with state 

Thanks!  Unfortunately it is a different state.  (I purchased it last year to do a proforma for her, but was hoping to avoid that this year... guess I'll just walk through her pdf with her, or go step by step on the phone.   Much appreciated!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies