Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

California State tax 2021 Desktop asks if I "Need to make electronic payments based on a prior year?"

I filed my 2020 taxes using Turbotax online software and am now using Turbotax Desktop for filing 2021 tax returns. So far I am expecting a refund but the California state tax portion asks if I "Need to make electronic payments based on a prior year?"

It says that California requires electronic payment of taxes if you've

1) Made an estimated tax or extension payment over $20,000, OR

2) Filed an original return with a tax liability over $80,000

It further asks "Did you make a payment for any tax year that requires you to make tax payments electronically?"

Could someone please help me understand this question ? I am expecting a refund so why is it asking to pay electronically?

Thanks a lot!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

California State tax 2021 Desktop asks if I "Need to make electronic payments based on a prior year?"

Just say no.  Did you make either #1 or 2?  Don’t worry about it.  I’m in California and always say no.  

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Just say no.  Did you make either #1 or 2?  Don’t worry about it.  I’m in California and always say no.  

Since it’s asking if you need to and you don’t answer “No”.

Thanks VolvoGirl. I appreciate your help.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies